Monday 31 October 2011

Spooky Cupcakes for Halloween

My easy to make Spooky Cupcakes
We had a simple Halloween Party for Mig, the only kid in the house who just wanted to experience the fun. Years ago, when I was still a staff writer of Sense & Style I remembered our shoot for Halloween treats at Maya Kitchen in Makati. I saw how the chef transformed an ordinary chocolate cupcake into something creepy putting some gummy worms and powdered Oreo cookies that can look like soil. So here I am trying to be a copycat and make my own version of a spooky cupcake.

For the Chocolate cupcake I bought a box of Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate cake mix. Just mix the powder with water, oil, and eggs using a beater for 3 minutes until the mixture becomes smooth. No worries the complete instructions are at the back of the box follow it and the cake will be perfectly fine. No experience necessary. :) 

Then put the mixture in cupcake wrappers in a cupcake pan.


Baking time depends on the pan that you are going to use. In a small oven like mine that can only hold 1 pan with 6 cups, it took me 20 minutes at 200C per batch to bake. Set aside and let it cool.

While waiting for the cupcake to cool down make some icing. Here is an easy Coffee icing recipe that I got from the net. 

Ingredients:
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Beat together confectioner's sugar, butter or margarine, coffee, and vanilla until smooth. Add more liquid or confectioner's sugar as needed.


And let the FUN part begins...where imagination and creativity meets. 

I sprinkled grounded Oreo cookies to look like soil
Add gummy worms on top
Easy to make cupcakes that can make the kids asking for more. To be honest while doing this DIY project I discovered the little kid that still inside me. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow! panalo na naman ito...May recipe pa plus ang galing naman ng photo shoot. Ang galing ng camera.

    Yan ang wala kami ngayon dito ang iyong mga baking & cooking specialties.

    Tunay na Happy Halloween kayo dyan with matching spooky cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fun dito sa bahay ngayon Tatay!
    We enjoy cooking every weekends team kami ni Ate Lyn. She also enjoyed the idea of baking so baka maging madalas pa itong aming experiments... :)

    ReplyDelete