Wednesday 12 October 2011

Fun Run

Juriz woke me up at 5 in the morning. I was so lazy to get up saying, “Sweetheart pwede bang 10 minutes pa?” But then I remembered why he was waking me up. “This is it!” I said to myself. We were joining a 10km run and this will be my FIRST! So I excitedly got off from the bed and  made 2 cups of coffee for me and Juriz, which by the way, serves as my fuel or my so-called energy drink to wake me up. Then he said, “Sweetheart, kumain tayo ng saging hati tayo to give us potassium.” I wasn’t sure kung para saan ang potassium to give me more energy or to wake me up even more. Hahaha!


So we were all set after 10 minutes, we got a cab and minutes later we were at the meeting place we waited for like 15 minutes but everyone seemed late so we decided to walk towards the race village where all the 12,000 runners were set to assemble. It was very overwhelming.  There were really thousands who are like us woke up so early to join this run. I suddenly remembered my camera inside my bag to capture this event but unfortunately after switching it on it says on the screen, “The memory card is write protected”. Oh please not now! I asked Juriz to try fixing it but he couldn’t he said don’t worry I have my Iphone but when he was about to take some pictures it was on like 20% batt remaining. Hahahaa. Lucky!


Anyway, we got couple of pictures from his phone then we were asked to proceed to the starting line. Honestly while walking I was excited but I have no idea how far is 10km. A week ago while Juriz and I were talking in a bus I asked him how far is 10km he said 25 times of circling around the oval. I tried absorbing what he said for a couple of minutes because hey I can only make 2 rounds in our oval where I jog in the evening so how can I possibly push myself to make 25 rounds???

We met with some friends and one was like me, Sabrina, who was also a first timer to join a 10k run. We were really excited she and her boyfriend, Charles arrived all set in uniform with of course CAMERA! Which eventually where I got the pictures that I posted here. 

Siren sounded as we started, thousands of runners in orange shirts started running which for me where like red ants lining up for food. Of course we ran but later in 2k we were exhausted! My coffee seemed to fail me as well as the potassium from the banana. Though the good thing was we were able to pose for photo. 

Then, by the time we reached Suntec mall we went inside to pee. Yes, we went out of the race and pee, funny because by the time we went out, we were literally the last runners in the race. We tried running of course then suddenly we saw a line in a portalet it gave us some hope that none of us will be placing 12,000th place. Hahaha!

We reached 5km, halfway of the race with a smile after an hour of running and walking. Still excited to finish the race but totally in the verge of exhaustion. Under the heat of the sun, we reached 9k mark, then 750 meters, 250 meters, and finally we could see the arch which says FINISH and the clock says 2 hrs and 16 minutes. Yes, we finished the race after 2 hours that was way too long if the world record was just 30 minutes. Nevertheless, I felt great finishing the race. By the end of the race all I could think of was I want to go to McDonalds and eat a BIG MAC which I seldom eat because of calories but I was tired and hungry so I think I can devour it this time. But at the gate we were given bottled water and energy drink and in a table I saw a pile of bananas for the end time I was still curious why. Basta and alam ko sa gutom ko hindi ako mabubusog sa saging lang! After finishing the banana, only then, my husband told me that it’s a good source of potassium that helps in preventing you to get muscle cramps especially after a long and rigorous run.

Since my husband works for Nike I was given a VIP tag that entitled me for a free catered breakfast at a lounge with some of the bosses. 
I got really tired for running 10km and got ugly tan lines but hey I got all the luck that day, food was great, fun times with friends, felt like lost 5 lbs, and a priceless moment running with my husband which by the way, there were times we were running holding hands! Sweeeeet! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment