Thursday 17 November 2011

Finally now I can say, "I can Cook!"

I don't know how to cook! 

I grew up in a family of great cooks who read recipe books as if it was an encyclopedia and who watched a cooking show as if it was a Pacquiao-Marquez fight! Cooking different dishes and baking seemed so easy. But instead of having great interest to be one of them I grew up just watching them and waiting for the food to be served. 

Well, I thought things will stay the same but in a blink of an eye my glorious role as the food taster ended and I am now the cook. Yes and no other choice. But because I want to impress my husband Juriz who has a taste for good food I wandered through the net for recipes, called up my Lola Ely in California just to ask if I can use the green lime instead of the lemon that she always use for "Bistek", or even sent message to Tatay Iyo in Manila asking for his Binagoongan recipe. Lucky me I have life lines! 

Having confidence in cooking takes awhile but I guess I got it from my Tatay Jessie and my husband who always say, "Hmmm, ang sarap!" after their first taste. I have no idea if they really mean it, I hope they do! hahaha! But for beginners like me it helps a lot! Appreciation from the husband is always a big token of happiness for the wife and I'm glad my husband remembers that all the time. 

Learning how to cook might be a challenge but practice makes it close to perfection. And wives remember, husbands stay happy when they are not hungry! hahaha! 

Here are some of the dishes that made me say, I can cook!
Baked Tahong
Banana Fritters


Chicken Salad Cups


Lumpiang Gulay


Lasagna


Ginisang Kalabasa sa Miki

Mexican Rice
Mushroom Turnover
Adobo with Red rice

Tuna ala Pobre

Pork in Black Bean Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment